Wyoming Tennis Begins MW with 7-0 Win over Air Force
April 1, 2016
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -
The Wyoming tennis team (8-9 overall, 1-0 MW) snapped a five-match losing streak and opened up the 2016 conference season with a 7-0 sweep of the Air Force Falcons (9-8, 0-1 MW) on Friday afternoon.
"Conference wins are always good wins," UW head coach Dean Clower said. "The ladies came out with a lot of fire and played with purpose today. The upperclassmen led the way for us in singles. We talked about having everybody playing on the same day and we were able to accomplish that."
In doubles play, Wyoming took the early 1-0 lead. The pair of Magdalena Stencel and Nastya Tokareva defeated Chloe Forlini and Jocelle Rudico, 6-1, while the duo of Elisa Koonik and Tessa van Der Ploeg won the point with a 6-3 win over Mary Meyers and Elisa Nelson.
The Cowgirls continued its momentum in singles play by sweeping all six matches. Koonik won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2 over Lily Forlini followed by Stencel with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Chloe Forlini. At the number two position, Tokareva beat her opponent, 7-6, 6-1, while Dorottya Jonas clinched the match for UW with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Elizabeth Barnickel. In the final two matches of the day, van Der Ploeg defeated Rudico, 6-4, 6-4 followed by Miranda Talbert who needed three sets, 7-6, 3-6, 10-8, over Meredith Laskey.
Wyoming will continue league play on Sunday against the 45th ranked New Mexico Lobos. The match is set for 3 p.m. MT in Albuquerque.
Wyoming 7, Air Force 0
Friday, April 1, 2016
Air Force Academy Indoor Tennis Courts
1. Magdalena Stencel (WYO) def. Chloe Forlini (AF), 6-3, 6-4
2. Nastya Tokareva (WYO) def. Mary Meyers (AF), 7-6, 6-1
3. Dorottya Jonas (WYO) def. Elizabeth Barnickel (AF), 6-4, 6-4
4. Elisa Koonik (WYO) def. Lily Forlini (AF), 6-1, 6-2
5. Tessa van Der Ploeg (WYO) def. Jocelle Rudico (AF), 6-4, 6-4
6. Miranda Talbert (WYO) def. Meredith Laskey (AF), 7-6, 3-6, 10-8
Order of finish: 4, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6
1. Stencel/Tokareva (WYO) def. C. Folini/Rudico (AF), 6-1
2. Koonik/van Der Ploeg (WYO) def. Meyers/Nelson (AF), 6-3
3. Jonas/Talbert (WYO) vs. L. Forlini/Barnickel (AF), 4-4 DNF
Order of finish: 1, 2