Wyoming Tennis Earns Victory over Rams
April 23, 2010
Greeley, Colo. - The University of Wyoming Tennis team (13-7 overall, 4-3 MWC) earned a 6-1 victory over the Colorado State Rams (7-14 overall, 1-7 MWC) on Friday afternoon in Greeley. The match had to be moved because of the inclement weather.
"We are very happy to come away with a victory," said head coach Kati Gyulai. "CSU is a very good team and this was a tough match. We need to come out a little bit sharper tomorrow and we are looking forward to playing our final conference match."
It would be a battle from the beginning in doubles play. The team of Simona Synkova and Kim van Ginkel had a tough time with an 8-3 loss against Catilin Fluegge and Laura Neal at the number one position. Paloma Navarro and Sarah Summerfield would get things going for the Cowgirls as they defeated Melissa Holzinger and Veronika Wojakowska, 8-6. It came down to the number two team of Rebecca Berger and Alexandra Kovacs. They would battle to a close 8-6 win over Tori Arneson and Lauren Mulhern to help Wyoming clinch the doubles point.
The Cowgirls carried over their solid play in singles as they took five of the six matches to solidify their victory. Colorado State would earn their only point of the day at the number two position. Arneson earned a win as she was up 3-0 when Kovacs would retire in the match. Synkova picked it right back up for the Cowgirls as she defeated Fluegge in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3, followed by Kim van Ginkel over Mulhern, 6-0,6-1. Senior Summerfield would clinch the match for Wyoming with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Neal at the number one position. Sasa Nemcova defeated her opponent Veronika Wojakowska, 6-1, 6-3, as did Berger over Holzinger, 1-6, 6-3, 6-4.
It's the first time since the 2006-07 season that the Cowgirls have defeated the Rams. The 13 wins overall and the four conference victories is the most for any Wyoming tennis team in school history.
The Cowgirl's will wrap up regular season MWC play tomorrow against the Air Force Academy Falcons. The match is set to begin at 2:00 p.m. in Colorado Springs.
1. Caitlin Fluegge/Laura Neal (CSU) def. Simona Synkova/Kim van Ginkel (UW), 8-3
2. Rebecca Berger/Alexandra Kovacs (UW) def. Tori Arneson/Lauren Mulhern (CSU), 8-6
3. Paloma Navarro/Sarah Summerfield (UW) def. Melissa Holzinger/Veronika Wojakowska (CSU), 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
SINGLES1. Sarah Summerfield (UW) def. Laura Neal (CSU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Tori Arneson (CSU) def. Alexandra Kovacs (UW), 3-0 (ret.)
3. Simona Synkova (UW) def. Caitlin Fluegge (CSU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Rebecca Berger (UW) def. Melissa Holzinger (CSU), 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Kim van Ginkel (UW), def. Lauren Mulhern (CSU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Sasa Nemcova (UW) def. Veronika Wojakowska (CSU), 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 5, 1, 6, 4