Cowgirl Tennis Defeated By Lobos
April 9, 2009
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -
The Wyoming tennis team was defeated by the New Mexico Lobos 7-0 on Thursday afternoon, in Albuquerque, N.M.
The Lobos earned the doubles point by winning two of the matches. Wyoming's Sarah Summerfield and Carly Van Hollen lost in the number one spot to Ola Abou-Zekry and Emma Hayman 8-4. Jamie Nelson and Rebecca Berger lost a tough battle to Ashley Bonner and Anya Villanueva-Forte 8-7 (7-4). New Mexico won the number three spot by default.
The Cowgirls struggled in singles play as well. Summerfield lost to Abou-Zerky in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4. In the number two spot, Berger battled against Mackenzie White, losing 4-6, 6-3, 14-12. Van Hollen was defeated by Hayman 6-1, 6-2, while Carolina Chaix played in the number four spot, but lost to Bonner, 6-2, 6-2. To wrap up the match, Maria Sotirchos defeated Nelson in a tough three set match, 1-6, 6-2, 6-1. New Mexico won the final point by default.
Wyoming will finish the week in Albuquerque competing against No. 27 TCU on Friday, April 10 at 4 p.m.
1. ABOU-ZEKRY, Ola/HAYMAN, Emma (NM) def. Sarah Summerfield/Carly Van Hollen (WYO) 8-4
2. BONNER, Ashley/VILLANUEVA-FORTE, A (NM) def. Jamie Nelson/Rebecca Berger (WYO) 8-7 (7-4)
3. SOTIRCHOS, Maria/TESSMAR, Victoria (NM) won by default
1. ABOU-ZEKRY, Ola (NM) def. Sarah Summerfield (WYO) 6-3, 6-4
2. WHITE, Mackenzie (NM) def. Rebecca Berger (WYO) 4-6, 6-3, 14-12
3. HAYMAN, Emma (NM) def. Carly Van Hollen (WYO) 6-1, 6-2
4. BONNER, Ashley (NM) def. Carolina Chaix (WYO) 6-2, 6-2
5. SOTIRCHOS, Maria (NM) def. Jamie Nelson (WYO) 1-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. VILLANUEVA-FORTE, A (NM) won by default